Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Walk the Walk!

I think it was my second or 3rd visit to West Sacramento since this all began...
Robynn was VERY ill and things were extremely scary. She was back at home but leaving for another lengthy hospital stay. She told me that there was an area in her closet that held bags with donations for the needy and they would be by to pick it up in a few days. "I won't be here and you can't forget to put it out Michelle Irene" she said with a smile! I promised her I would not forget. Later, she remembered more things that could be added and in the end I think I took out 6-8 bags. I remember standing in her closet in total disbelief. Here was a woman who had no idea what tomorrow would bring her and she was consumed with getting the less fortunate her hand-me-downs! I don't know that I would have had the same conviction if faced with her circumstances. But as we ALL know, THAT'S JUST ROBYNN! Always looking out for someone else first!
This leads me to today when my cell phone rang at about 4:45. "Are you at the store Mom"? "No, what do you need T"? "I have lunches for the needy tomorrow" (just a little background about this program; once a month Tanner will choose to make 10 PB and J's, place them in brown paper bags and add a drink and piece of fruit in each all by himself) At first his procrastination is irritating and I roll my eyes over the phone. I have NOTHING for 10 lunches...nothing! I tell him I will call him back and I immediately feel a sense of pride that my son is following in his Aunt Robynn's foot steps. I was no longer annoyed with the last minuteness of this, but thrilled that he was putting others first. Way to "Pay It Forward" Tanner!

Sister Mary who once told me,
"Our children walk where we walk, not where we point"!
May we ALL walk in a direction that leads to a glorious outcome filled with faith, prayer, compassion, thoughtfulness, humility and love!

Those are your new orders soldiers!
Pray On!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reporting for duty!!
xo,
B.

Anonymous said...

I am not suprised by Tanner's actions, just another wonderful Goodell in the making. This family never ceases to amaze me and fills my heart and soul with love, faith, hope and an overwhelming since of family ;) BIG HUGS AND KISSES XOXOX

ps - Shel, the last two posting have been amazing, my eyes are filled to the rim and my heart beats louder we each of your words.

Love you
Tami G

Michelle & Emma & Philip said...

Ok, so we have another thing in common. Our name: we have the same first and middle name! Too much, I almost thought Robynn was directing that right at me.....

But, I'm so proud to say I have some similarities to our wonderful girl Robynn! Giving to people with less than us is something we do on a daily basis. Emma already has compassion for children in Africa because we get updates from the child we sponsor there. And, always gives toys and clothes to people with less than us. Just part of our life. I'm not about to question the similarity with Robynn, but will sit and enjoy it!

Isn't amazing how everything really gets put into perspective by children and by how Robynn lives and leads in her life? I'm completely inspired and to use your word, in "awe" of her.

Love,

Michelle

Tonya Sandoval said...

Robynn,
I was so glad to read that your trip to the beach ended on a good note with your toes in the sand and everything. Although this week will be tough with another round of chemo starting, you just hang in there and continue to fight!!! We are still cheering for you every step of the way.
Love,
Tonya Sandoval & Family

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am not surprised either, but I am still impressed! Way to go Robynn for walking the walk! Way to go Tanner for following her lead! And way to go Shelley, for supporting your son's desire to help others. Another wonderful example of how people should live.
I will follow my orders (now that I'm good and inspired! :) and walk the walk today, and do something (more than I usually do) to pay it forward!
Thank God for people like all of you! You make this world a better place! :)
Love, hugs and prayers!
Kristy

Anonymous said...

When you do write that book...may I throw out "Leading by Example" as a title candidate? I think I've finally figured out what is is about your family (although I have not met any of you) that I am so intrigued by...you inspire me to want to do more for the people around me. You inspire me to go out and "inspire" my students to do more for the people in their lives. Thank you for that, for being willing to share things that so many of us would choose to keep to ourselves. I don't know many people who would proudly post a new buzz cut for all friends and family to see, but I think Robynn showed great courage in doing that, among other things. I also must add that in looking at the photos, there are some REALLY cute purses in them!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you - let's all live each day caring, loving and understanding. Robynn is amazing!