Tuesday, May 6, 2008

When the Going Gets Rough....

the "Rough" go to the beach with "back up"!
Let me first say, thank you for your patience while awaiting the details of our FFF days at the beach;)
As you are aware, Our Girl had a terrible start which didn't get much better til Saturday.
Here's how it all went down...

Thursday: Was spent driving and and getting her right to bed when we reached the beach house. She struggled vigilantly with abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. While she rested we tried to get unpacked and organize the kitchen for our Mexican Fiesta! She never joined us that night, but the rest of us pigged out on tacos, carnitas, rice and beans, chips n salsa and a special treat that Uncle Brian taught Cal how to make that consisted of roasted jalapenos, garlic, pine nuts,olive oil and cilantro salt and pepper. We chose to eat it on EVERYTHING! Cereal was about the only possibility we thought might not work with it!;) We then took a little field trip down to the pier and Hailey with her charm and amazing new hair cut scored us 4 fresh crabs!
We boiled them the next morning and Cal and Uncle Matt cracked em up for all to enjoy!

Friday: She was still struggling, but was able to get out of bed to sit on the couch and visit with a view of the ocean off in the distance. The men and children fled to the beach for a game of football and woofle-ball. The women stayed behind to keep Robynn company. When she was ready for some more quiet time we took off to a cute little place and had lunch on a patio that faced the water. When the kids were done eating they got to run down to the beach and play in the sand and climb rocks til we finished. When we arrived back home, we all watched a video that Madison along with the help of friends, classmates and school staff had put together for "Aunt Robynn". Very sweet, funny, inspirational, full of love and bound with prayer and support! Later we bbq'd ribs, hot dogs, corn, garlic mashed potatoes, garlic bread and fresh fruit. We then got a crazy game of Taboo going that was lots of fun!

Saturday: This was a CRAZY day for me personally and a 2 thumbs up for Robynn! I had to get Cal back to Bakersfield(4 hours) for her Prom, run by Relay for Life @ CSUB and head back to the beach to miss as little as possible! No worries! I got it ALL done! Cal looked gorgeous! We made it to the Luminary celebration and found bags lit up in Robynn's and my Uncle Sonny's "honor". Was there to hear that Bakersfield had raised over 2 million dollars for the American Cancer Society and that my team "Too much Fun Club" came in second place by raising over 47 thousand dollars! AMEN!
Back at the beach was our own mini miracle unfolding! Robynn was feeling good! To take full advantage of this, they whisked her away to the place we had been the day before for lunch and the amazing view. She ate a bit of soup and enjoyed her family and her surroundings. She took a little snooze when they got back and later visited with the girls while the men/boys played poker! Uncle Derek was the big winner, with Uncle Brian 2nd and Tanner in 3rd.
What happened Papa???

Sunday: This was her BEST day by far!(maybe because it is God's day...hmmmm;) She went shopping at the little shops in downtown HMB. It was getting a little chilly and she was tiring so Brian and Brady took her home and we ate at a local Inn and then headed back as well. Hailey had been waiting this entire trip to go horseback riding. I tried to buy her off with a $23 shirt with a gold studded horse on the front...that didn't work! Instead, Hailey got the shirt and got Auntie to go horseback riding. Thank God for Brian and Madison who did not let me suffer alone! Hailey's smile from ear to ear was worth all the "bottom bashing" I endured! It still hurts to walk, sit, stand etc, but I'll be fine soon!!!:) While we were wild cowgirls/boys, the other boys went fishing to catch our dinner! We were ready for countless snapper to skin and gut and throw over the fire like the old days! I think the Lord Himself had realised our overeating and drinking needed to come to an end, evidenced by Brady and Tanner returning with only 1 fish! Pretty tough to split that between 16 people;) Oh well, break out the trays of pasta!

Let the Dance Off Begin...
It all started as an innocent little challenge. Brady has been very impressed with his cousin Tanner's "moves" that you all have watched courtesy of Bill Haines and youtube. He has watched it countless times to pick up some super impressive moves he might use on some hot chicks that will surface in his future. Pretty smart! Anyway, we moved all the furniture and had our make shift dance floor all ready. Brady was IN THE HOUSE and there was no stopping him now! He was unbelievable! He had moves that stunned us all! Tanner was even taken back! So much so,that he had to get in on the action. Little by little we found another one of us on the floor. Pretty soon ALL of us were dancing! Even Robynn!
Beastie Boys, Taylor Swift, Violent Femmes, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw (just to name a few) blared in the background. We lined danced and did the Cha-Cha. There was more fun had that night than should be allowed!!! Robynn got to slow dance with her devoted hubby to their wedding song,"Because You Loved Me" as well as "Your My Best Friend". Hailey got to dance to "There Goes My Life" with her Mom and Brady's song with Mom was "Jesus Take the Wheel".
Make no mistake, there were tears flowing at this point, but we sucked it up and moved back to FFF and more boogieing! We had to celebrate being together and savor every second! As I watched Robynn and Brian dance my Mom walked over and asked me "so was it worth the 8 hour drive"? "without a doubt" was my response. I would have driven forever if Sunday night was my reward! Well the party wound down around midnight and a few old and out of shape "troopers" hobbled off to bed!

Monday: We were all packing up and getting ready to head out when I see my brother Matthew lugging this huge bucket full of sand up 2 flights of stairs to the house entrance. I then hear him say "if you can't get to the beach, the beach will come to you...get over here and feel the sand between your toes". Robynn, absolutely thrilled, shrieked with excitement and joyfully jumped in the bucket. A scene that will forever be etched in my memory...thank you Matt!


With each memory we meet again with those we love
for the heart never forgets...
Thank you Robynn, Brian, Brady, Hailey, Mom, Dad, Mimi, Jenny, Derek, Matthew, Erin, Madison, Tim, Cal and Tanner...My heart will not only never forget, it will cherish these moments forever...thank you for gifting them to me!
All my Love,
S

She is not feeling very well today and will have next round of Chemo Thursday.
Please keep her ever present in your prayers!

Pray On Dear Soldiers!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodells,

I am speechless! Every one of you continue to amaze me and inspire me!

Thanks so much for the cookies! The entire class enjoyed them tremendously and I'm so happy to have Brady back!

My prayers are endless!

Vanessa
(Ms. S)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some really wonderful moments together :) Shelley, thank you for the beautifully written recap!

So happy Robynn's yuckies went away for a bit! Thinking of ALL of you with smiles - especially you Robynn :)

Love, Kim

Anonymous said...

Robyn here at 12208 Marshfield Way we just got the news, know that we are praying for you and your family. You are an amazing young woman and can see the Lords work by just reading this blog.

You are the God who performs miracles: you display your power among the peoples. Psalms 77:14

Monty & Cathy Gonzales

Michelle & Emma & Philip said...

Thank you for sharing everything with us, and in such a vivid way!

It makes me feel so connected with all of you, without having to bombard you personally. ;-)

I wish you rest this week Robynn. Good luck on Thursday. Know you're constantly in our hearts.

I'm not even sure why I'm so teary eyed right now, but I can only thank Shelley for allowing me to be a part of everything through this blog.

Lots of rest and strength Robynn!

Love,

Michelle H.

Anonymous said...

I hope someone got all that boogiein' on tape. Army Goodell..the next YouTube sensation!

Love you all & still praying strong!

XOXOXO
Kelly H.

Anonymous said...

I can't really type right now, because my eyes are too blurred....I closed my eyes and could totally see every word you wrote Shelley. I just wanted to jump through my computer screen and hug you all....and dance like a rock star, of course. Matt, you are still such a stud... Bless you for bringing the beach to Robynn....that was when the blubbering got out of control. Oh I just wish we could freeze time and stay in the good moments. There better be video of the dancing :) God Bless you guys! Bless you, bless you, bless you! Oh Lord please give Robynn her miracle. Please grant her your peace. Hang in there Miss Robynn, you have been so strong...it has to be so hard. We just pray for God to keep giving you the strength. We are all STANDING WITH YOU IN PRAYER! With so much love,
B.
We pray for many, many more Sundays like the last one!! :)

Anonymous said...

hey robynn! dianah here. just wanted you to know that as usual you were lifted up yesterday at our prayer group and there is the verse that says wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I am there also so I know God heard us because there were 4 of us! I will again say more prayers for you on Thursday. I will pray for as little discomfort as possible and that God will send a bunch of "little happy's" your way like good parking spots and sunshine and nice nurses etc. so be watching out for them :) Love from alabama- di

Anonymous said...

I have been on my computer suppose to be working but my mind keeps going back to Shelley's recent blog posting.

Robynn I am so glad you got to the ocean. It sounds like you and the family had some really fun and memorable times.

Shelley thank you for all the wonderful words that made us feel like we were there.

Robynn it has been 5 year since I seen you. So silly how in yearly Christmas cards we say let's get together soon yet the years have passed. I am thankful for Shelley's words and this blog to fill in blanks for some of the passed time and the opportunity to get to know you, your friends and family so much better.

Even though I haven't actually been able to give you a BiG Hug yet please know that I send them from my heart to you,Brian, Brady, and Haley daily.

We all need to remember to forget our TO DO LISTs and enjoy a lot of more FFF with the people we love. At the end of the day it isnt' the TO DO LIST we will remember but the memories we created instead.

Darcy

Anonymous said...

Robynn and family,
Praise the Lord for the wonderful time He allowed you all to have together this past weekend Robynn, I want to say that you never cease to amaze me, but knowing what I know, I must first say that God never ceases to amaze me because without Him, many things would not be possible, and as you know, All things are possible with God. Next, I must say that I am inspired by your courage. With a little rest, you kicked right into the festivities with your family. I am so happy for you. I know that right now you are not feeling well, but this too is temporary. My prayers and thoughts are on you each day, throughout the day. God has blessed you with a wonderful set of in-laws, family, and friends. May your blessings be endless.
Love you much.

Anonymous said...

Ruby ~
I am so glad you got to spend some time at the beach with your family, we check the blog everyday so we know how you are feeling, we jump for joy on your good days and scream on the bad ones! I hope you have a feeling good week and I wish as many yuckies away as possible! I miss hearing your voice, but I can still look at your beautiful smile! I love you!

~ Breezy

P.S. give the family a hug for us and thank you Shelly for all the updates, we look forward to them every day.

Anonymous said...

Darcy,
YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!! Good bye to TO DO LISTS......I have never completed one anyways :) Life happening around us is what we hold in our hearts....not the endless lists! I second that! Thanks for the reminder. Now, where is my grocery list?? :)
God Bless every moment,
B.

Anonymous said...

Shelley! Wow! Geez! I mean could you write any more vividly. I think you should write a screen play rather than a book. Thank you for the details. Although, the tears are going to kill my keyboard??!!

Pictures please :) :) :)

Bean...It sounds like you had a rough time, but it was all worth it in th end! I am so happy you we're able to do what you wanted. That makes me smile from ear to ear (and cry a little. Well ok...alot!)

I love you.
Kerrie

Anonymous said...

EXTRAORDINARY...this is the only word to describe the entire family!

Shelley your diary of events keeps us both exhausted and elated, not to mention, warming our hearts with the love each of you share.

I was so happy to read that Robynn was able to get her tootsies in the sand...and was pleased that by Sunday she wasn't as nauseous.

It also sounds like Brady & Tanner can really do some boot scootin'! The trip sounded like it was magical...even if it started off a slow. Bless all of you and specific prayers for vitality and strength during Thursday's treatment.

In friendship~
Jill West

Anonymous said...

Robynn,

I am so glad you got to be with your family. I know how important family and friends are at a time like this. It has been a long time since I have seen you. I love my little cousins you and Jenni. I am standng strong for you and your family.

With much love,

Dawn