Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Uncle Sonny

We are still a little perplexed but he is improving. His CT scan showed spots on his lungs that are unidentifiable by the Dr and a lung biopsy might be in order. He spiked a 103 temp last night and they talked about having an Infectious Disease Doc take a look at him. He no longer had to be restrained as long as one of us was in with him, which is a no brainer for this group of family & friends;) He opened his eyes and was a little responsive in the early evening. Later on, he was getting a little agitated about the tube down his throat and more sedation was required. The plan was to get the tube removed at 4am this morning since he was doing so well breathing for himself, but it didn't happen. Getting that tube out would be a great relief to us all. Hailey had done "arts & crafts" in the morning while I was getting ready and made something for Uncle Sonny. It was a bright hot pink snowflake that said "To Uncle Sonny Love, Hailey". I had taped to the IV pole that hangs from the ceiling and had Bradley move it directly in front of him so when he did open his eyes, it was the 1st thing he saw. It worked! When they came to do a draw for his blood gas levels he was wide eyed and when I asked "do you see what Hailey made you"? he shook his head yes. He never took his eyes off it, and seemed to use it as a focal point to help him be calm and still. I told him he was a "ROCK" and that I would never call him a "cream puff" again. He blinked in approval.
I had brought Brady and Hailey to the hospital around lunchtime and within a couple hours they were ready to go back to Aunties. Brian took them to Cal and she was in charge til I got home about 6:45. I ordered pizza, gave Hailey a bath and we were all in bed a tad before 8pm. Not quite as early as Robynn would have liked, but close;) They are now up with full tummies and playing the Wii. Brian was with Uncle Sonny pretty much all night and I hope he is asleep at my parents as I type this.

Again, please pray for my parents speedy recovery from their nasty cold/flu so they can visit Uncle Sonny and get to see the kids before they go back to West Sac.

Pray On!
S

PS To learn more about Nick Cavalier and how to help, go to http://www.nicholascavalier.com/

1 comment:

Tonya Sandoval said...

We are hoping that uncle Sonny continues to imrpove. Your family is due for some good news! I am so sorry to hear that your parents are feeling so bad. Hopefully they are on the tail end of that nasty flu bug.
Take care,
Tonya Sandoval & Family