Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Sure Sign

I know that losing Robynn happened for a greater good that would benefit countless others. That concept helps me get through most days. What I am about to tell you is proof....
While in Santa Barbara, Tim and I walked down State St. looking for a place to have breakfast. We had a list from a friend with her favorite places for breakfast and set out to find one of them. As we strolled along Tim points across the street and says "How about Ruby's Cafe"?(not a restaurant on our list) I slow down as tears well up in my eyes and tell him, "I can't...lets go to the cafe up ahead". He does not push me and we continue down the sidewalk. Suddenly I stop, peer across the street and see the red awning bearing "RUBY"S CAFE" and decide we have to go there. (chills?) I can't explain it, but I knew this was not a coincidence. The waiter told us we could sit anywhere we wanted and we chose to walk to the very back of the restaurant and sit right outside the kitchen. The service and food was out of this world and I managed to get through with just a couple tears(that's really good theses days;) As we waited for the check, Tim saw a flyer taped up in the hallway directly across from our table that had this good looking, vibrant, blond young man smiling while holding his surf board and giving a "thumbs up".
Tim asked if I could read what it said. I looked over and read;
"Nick Cavalier Fundraiser
Thursday February 5, 2009 5-8pm
Ruby's Cafe
Music by Tripdavon
Raffle
Silent Auction
Ruby's Cafe T-shirts for sale"
We wondered what his need was and got up from our table to read the smaller print.
It listed the different sponsors and Nicholas Cavalier Rehabilitation Fund @ Santa Barbara Bank & Trust. Rehabilitation fund? He looks healthy as can be? We had to find out more and at the very least buy a T-shirt that adorned our most beloved dog...Ruby. There was a woman interacting with an employee so we approached her and asked what had happened to Nick. She replied with great emotion and told us how he had been injured while trying to break up a fight late one night and suffered severe head trauma and is now unable to care for himself without assistance. His parents had tried a couple facilities that had to be discontinued because of abuse and inadequet care. After researching throughout California they found that the most suitable place for him was the Center for Nuero Skills in Bakersfield.(more chills?) YES, you heard me, BAKERSFIELD! "We are from Bakersfield, that's wonderful", I exclaimed! She then proceeded to tell us as a part-time employee for the city of Santa Barbara, Nick doesn’t have health insurance and is only covered by Medi-Cal. He received a small amount of money from the Victims of Violent Crimes fund, but it wouldn’t cover much more than a month at most private rehab centers. He also does not qualify for state services because his injury is "physical" and not a mental health issue. It will cost $157,00o.00 for 3 months. I don't know about you, but I don't have that kind of money. However,I have something more powerful... my faith in God and my faith in "Army Goodell". Your prayers have produced miracles and there are more to be seen! There are so many ways to help Nick. Some of us can give $, some of us can solicit others, but ALL of us can pray! Nick is a complete stranger to me, but the facts remain that Robynn gave us our precious puppy and the two of them drew us to "Ruby's Cafe" and led us to Nick. Robynn's legacy continues, as it works through our loss of her, Ruby and all of you!

Pray On!
S

9 comments:

Sheryl said...

Joining you with the chills and prayers! Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

Complete Chills!!!! It is said everything happens for a reason and like you said the proof is in your story.

Dittos on sharing your story. I continue to think of Robynn and her family on a daily basis.

Peace and love,
Darcy

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
I used to date a guy in high school who name is Chris Persel. When Chris and I started dating 1980's he started to work for Center for Neruo Skills. Just when the Center started in Bako. I know that he still works at the Center and he is high up in the company. I have not talked to him in years but, Maybe you could have this family talk with him and he could help them. You can use my name if you need. Debbie Jett p.s. we eat at Ruby's all the time when we are in SB. Good luck, Debbie in san Diego -Liz Haskell's friend.

Anonymous said...

So, through the tears of "coincidence" I didn't see how/where I could donate. Do you have that info? Every little bit helps and in honor of Robynn... anything!

Please post where to donate.

Thanks,

Michelle Hansen

Anonymous said...

If ever you wondered if Robynn was with you & guiding you I would think that this is proof positive!

Our prayers are being sent.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful opportunity to be of service.

In friendship~
Jill & Bob West

Anonymous said...

They will continue to guide us :) I saw the most beautiful rainbow yesterday as I was driving home from the coroners office. Things are going to be okay. It just felt like a big sign...in that moment. Shelley, Brian...everyone out there who has lost a loved one or is going through a really difficult time.....Things are going to be OKAY. If we have our faith...and love...things will be OKAY!! :)
I pray for all hurting hearts to be comforted by God's grace...We are blessed.
BIG HUGS!!

Anonymous said...

WOW..I have the chills!! Robynn was with you and guiding you right into Ruby's cafe and into Nick's life:)
Shelley, you are truly amazing.. My prayers will go out to Nick, his family, and to all of you. Keep the faith Army Goodell. I think of Brian, Brandy, and you daily and ask God to help all of you in your healing.
XOXO Liz Haskell

Anonymous said...

Well thank you Robynn for leading us all and your legacy lives on.
Oh Shelley what a wonderful chance to help in any way and to be on our knees to be praying for Nick.
I too pray all the time for ALL of you and the tears will help heal each and everyone of us.
Not a day goes by without thinking of our dear Robynn.
Praying in hope and love,
Solider Miss Denise

Anonymous said...

Dear Shelley,
Although I never got to formally meet Robynn She showed great strenght and will. Her story has inspired me. My cousin died of cancer last year and my aunt(his mother) has been battling lung cancer for 2 years and this year we found out the cancer has spread to her brain. I take great inspiration from you and your family's strenght during Robynn's Battle and will carry these examples of strenght so that we too may be there for my aunt as you were for Robynn. May Robynn's spirt live on through her family and may God continue to strenghten you and your family during the days, months and years to come. Someday, if not sooner, her kids will come to know what a Wonderful Mother they had and how she touched so many lives.

De'Onna Jack